I was recently talking with the Missus (Mrs) and was snowballing a few ways that, despite what may be happening around us, how we could live the life we wanted… An Awesome Life. Not of affluence necessarily, nice but not essential; of pleasure because how many times can you ride a rollercoaster? But a truly Awesome life – Regardless, of money, prestige, or circumstance, and how we all can achieve that. No matter what we know about the past and what we feel about the future, having an awesome life should still be the goal.
Although a list similar to this one has been circulating for awhile, I made a few changes, added some things and lent my personal touch to some of these awesome tips. The message is timeless and I hope you enjoy it.
25 Tips for Living An Awesome Life
- Try to make at least three people smile each day. Even if one of them is yourself.
- Don’t waste your precious energy on gossip, situations out of your influence, issues of the past, present negative thoughts or things you cannot control. Instead, invest your energy in creating a positive moment in the now, for yourself or others.
- Life is too short to waste time hating anyone. As MLK Jr said, it is an overbearing burden. Forgive them for everything.
- When you wake up in the morning, pray for God’s guidance in giving you purpose for the day. And keep that prayer in your heart as you go throughout each part of your day.
- Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day and let your mind wander on the Eternal: contemplate the majesty of God’s Creations.
- Take a short walk every day and while you walk, smile. Walking is the ultimate antidepressant.
- Remember that life is not fair, but it is still good, as it is said, “them is the breaks”. It is how one deals with those times in life that makes the measure true.
- Don’t take yourself so seriously, No one else does, see the humor in all around you.
- Make peace with your past so it will not ruin your present.
- No one, I repeat NO ONE is in charge of your happiness EXCEPT YOU!
- Do not compare your life to others. You haven’t a clue what row they have been called to hoe, or their burden of the cross to bear.
- Take care of yourself, eat with moderation, food groups in moderation – Avoid the vacuous foods (fast foods, processed foods, etc.)
- Search to maintain balance in your physical, spiritual, emotional, and mental states, but also realize it is ok to go off balance once in a while.
- You don’t have to win every argument or competition; Ask yourself, “Does this matter in the eternal perspective of things?”
- The world is not out to get you, so don’t be first in line.
- Help and be of service, without any expectation of recompense. Be generous and a ‘giver’ not a ‘taker’.
- The one constant in life is that everything is subject to change good AND bad.
- It’s all about connecting. No one says on their death bed, I wish I spent more time at work, rather it is I wish I would have spent more time with my loved ones.
- Time truly does heal everything, especially when you are living an awesome life!
- Remember your blessings, and see the stressors of life melt away.
- Care not for what others think of you, envy and jealousy are a big waste of time.
- Keep in mind always, it is the living that makes you who you are, not where you live, or what you possess materially.
- Each night before you go to bed, reflect on the day and be thankful for your accomplishments.
- Hugs of gratitude and appreciation are always the best hugs.
- Recognize that becoming self-reliant is the most important thing you can do to ensure long-term survival for yourself and those you love. Work and rely on yourself and you will never be met with disappointment.
The Overall TakeAway
As we enter these seasons of uncertainty and change that is on the horizon, may we do as the native Americans do, search for that center, that core, the comfort, the joy… that peace of mind that we all yearn for, and of which only God can give. May we all determine to live the Awesome Live, come what may!